In 1926, the International College of Saint Albert suspended its course in philosophy. At the same time, the Irish Province wished to establish an Irish Carmelite College in Rome. Because of these two factors, the Prior General, Fr. Elias Magennis, started the building of Pius XI College (the present General Curia). On 19 March 1930, Cardinal Basilio Pompili, Vicar of Rome, placed and blessed the first stone on a piece of land next to the Basilica of San Martino ai Monti. The building took two years to complete.
The foundation stone of the International College of Saint Albert in Rome was laid on July 20, 1899 by His Eminence Vincenzo Vannutelli, the Cardinal protector of the Order. The construction of the first two floors was completed in 1901, just in time for the opening of the academic year. Unfortunately Fr. Aloysius Galli, the Prior General of the Carmelite Order who launched the venture in the first place, did not live to see its completion, as he died unexpectedly on May 2, 1900.
|As Carmelites We live our life of allegiance to Jesus Christ and to serve Him faithfully with a pure heart and a clear conscience through a commitment to seek the face of the living God (the contemplative dimension of life), through prayer, through fraternity, and through service (diakonia). These three fundamental elements of the charism are not distinct and unrelated values, but closely interwoven.
All of these we live under the protection, inspiration and guidance of Mary, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, whom we honor as "our Mother and sister."