Province of Malta
This Province, situated on the island of Malta (mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles 28, 1), was erected on May 7, 1892. Previously, the Maltese foundations formed part of the Sicilian Province of St. Angelus, and when the English took over the island they became an independent vicariate.
The Carmelites arrived in Malta in 1418, when the noblewoman, Margaret d'Aragon, deeded the chapel and surrounding land of Lunzjata
(Rabat) to any religious Order that would undertake the incumbent religious duties. The Carmelites accepted the offer. Subsequently, they opened priories in Valletta (1570), Vittoriosa (1582-1652), Mdina (1659), Balluta - Sliema (1892), Santa Venera (2 houses: 1913 and 1980), Fgura (1945) and Fleur-de-lys (1947). In 1944 a secondary school, later named Saint Elias College, was inaugurated. To it the Province owes many vocations and men of learning and virtue. In 1949, the Province, answering the Prior General's call, opted to send missionaries to work in Africa, but at the Prior General's insistence, instead sent men to Peru in 1949 and to Bolivia in 1956. In 1987 the Province assumed the care of the church and convent of Milazzo in Sicily (Italy). In 1990 the Carmelites restored Lunzjata (Rabat), establishing there a House of Prayer and Retreat Centre
Among its members the Province numbered two bishops: Mgr. Francis Raiti, bishop of Trapani, Sicily, and Mgr. Redemptus Gauci, bishop of Chuquibamba, Peru.
At present the Province of Malta has about 60 religious working in Malta, Bolivia, Italy, United Staes and Peru.
For further information: Province of Malta
SLIEMA, SLM 1600
Tel. 21330198 / 21337573
Uffiċċju Assistent-Segretarju Prov