Friday, January 27, 2017
Enrique (Henry) was born October 16, 1840 at Vinebre, Tarragona, Spain. He was the youngest of three children and at an early age felt a call to the priesthood which his mother supported but his father opposed. Around the age of 12, his father sent him to Quinto de Ebro to learn the family textile trade from his uncle. He became gravely ill and received his first communion as Viaticum. After his recovery he returned home and on his way, detoured to the Shrine of Our Lady of the Pillar to give thanks for his health.
His mother died during the cholera epidemic of 1854 and his father sent him to Reus to apprentice with another textile businessman there. Henry sought refuge and a new home in the Benedictine monastery at Montserrat until his brother brought him back home. His father finally allowed Henry to follow his calling to a vocation, and he studied at the seminary in Tortosa and Barcelona. He was ordained September 21, 1867 and celebrated his first Mass at Montserrat.
He had a great devotion to St Teresa of Avila, and founded the Association of Young Catholic Daughters of Mary and Saint Teresa of Jesus in 1873 and then in 1876 he founded the Congregation of St. Teresa (the Teresian Missionaries) in Tortona which received papal approval in 1877. He wrote extensively, and founded several publications: El Hombre (The Man), El Amigo del Pueblo (The Friend of the People), and Revita Teresiana (The Teresian Review), a magazine of the Carmelite tradition that became popular in Spain.
He died on January 27, 1896 at Gilet, Valencia of a stroke and his remains were transferred to the chapel at the Teresian Missionaries at Tortona, the congregation he founded, in July 1908. Pope John Paul II beatified him in Rome on October 14, 1979 and canonized him on June 16, 1993 in Madrid.